Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sinful swatch spam

In light of the recent rumors (not absolutely confirmed, but there's evidence enough to be scary) that the Sinful Colors brand is being discontinued, I break from the regularly scheduled nail art challenge to bring you swatches of my entire Sinful collection. I only swatched each polish on one nail so I could do four at once and save time, since I'm also in the process of moving into a new apartment. 

All polishes are shown with two coats, no topcoat, and since I kind of rushed through this any application issues should be blamed on me rather than the formula unless otherwise noted.

I'll point out dupes or close alternatives where I'm aware of them. 

On to the polish! Starred polish names indicate those I remember for sure are in the regular core displays. 

Left to right: Toxic Shine, Mama-San, Dancing Nails*, Sugar Sugar*
(Toxic Shine and Mama San are some of my first Sinfuls and I'm pretty sure they're not readily available anymore. Dancing Nails would make good alternative to Mama-San, at least)

In this batch, all except Toxic Shine could be a one-coater if you're careful. All except Sugar Sugar show some brushstrokes, Mama-San less so.
Sugar Sugar might stain if your nails are prone to it.


Left to right: Gorgeous*, San Francisco, Mint Apple*, Cinderella*
(San Francisco might be in the core display. About 50% sure either way :/ )

Gorgeous and San Francisco show brushstrokes and are sheer at the first coat. San Francisco might take three coats depending on how thickly you paint and your VNL tolerance.
Mint Apple and Cinderella both have milky bases that are prone to balding and require a little more babying than most Sinfuls, but nothing ridiculous. 
Cinderella is super unique, with pink glassflecks that don't show up nearly as well in pics as they do in reality.
San Francisco stains a bit, use double base coat. Wet & Wild SaGreena The Teenage Witch may or may not be a near-dupe.
Gorgeous is a pretty standard teal shimmer, quite a few brands have something similar, though this is maybe slightly lighter/more silvery than most. Unless you're a major teal junkie (like me) you can probably do without this one.


Left to right: This Is It*, You Just Wait*, Bali Mist, Let Me Go
(These are possibly all in the core display.)

Except This Is It, this batch is pretty sheer. Bali Mist might hit opacity with three or four coats, I recommend layering the others. 
Let Me Go looks like it might be a duo/multichrome. I'd have to try it over black to be sure.
This Is It has some gorgeous bluple/green iridescent microglitter that my camera didn't pick up well, but trust me it's fantastic!


Left to right: Forget Now*, Flutter, Glass Pink*, Purple Diamond
(I think Purple Diamond is in the core display as well but I'm not 100% certain)

All of these are glassfleck polishes. Purple Diamond and Glass Pink are super sheer, probably better for layering. Flutter has the same milky kind of base as Mint Apple and Cinderella, same inclination to balding.
The glassflecks in Glass Pink have an almost-holo iridescent shift to them, absolutely fabulous! 
Forget Now seems to be very similar to one of the OPI Minnie Mouse collection (I'm All Ears, I think it was called), and L.A. Colors has something similar as well.


Left to right: I Miss You*, Hottie*, Nail Junkie*, Pearl Harbor

Here we have holo/iridescent glitter polishes. I believe the only one of this type I'm missing from the core display is Pinky Glitter, the so-girly pink twin to Hottie.
I Miss You and Nail Junkie could probably go opaque. Pearl Harbor never will, it's just blue/green iridescent glitter in a clear base. Hottie also should probably be layered.

Left to right: Fiji*, Let's Talk*, Fig, Cream Pink
(Fig is recently available in the same collection as the re-release of Winterberry, and I saw a lot of Cream Pink when I was at Walgreens yesterday)

Cream Pink is the oddball of my SC collection, with its satin half-matte finish. It's a great pink with a lovely golden shimmer.
Lets Talk is somewhat purpler than it looks here, my camera seems not to have liked it much and turned it a shade bluer than it really is. Can be a one-coater. I suspect Wet & Wild has a dupe in their Fastdry line. It stains.
Fiji is pretty sheer and could benefit from a third coat.
Fig has an absolutely lovely formula and requires no babying whatsoever.

Left to right: Kissy, Call You Later*, All About You*


Kissy is Forget Now's teal cousin. A slightly greener version of Wet & Wild's Teal of Fortune, which would make a good alternative. Stains. :(
Layer Call You Later. All About You can go opaque, but IMO it's better layered, with those fabulous gold glassflecks.

Left to right: Zeus, Winterberry, Slate, Secret Admirer
(Winterberry and Slate are recently available though not in the core display)

This whole batch has fabulous formulas. Any of these could be a one-coater if you paint carefully, and not one needs the slightest bit of babying. You can't really see the gorgeous pink hidden shimmer in Zeus in my pic, but it's AMAZING.

Left to right: Cloud 9*, Patrika, Oledia, Tokyo Pearl*
(Let's Meet is in the core display and looks to be a close cousin to Oledia, a glassfleck instead of a shimmer and maybe a smidge lighter yellow)

Except for Cloud 9 these are all pretty sheer on the first coat but build up nicely, and have a tendency to show brushstrokes. Cloud 9 seems to have the same iridescent flecks that are in Glass Pink, but the orange base limits them quite a bit.
Oledia stains, double basecoat is a necessity!


My personal must-have list, AKA the bottles I will be buying backups of (if I can get my hands on a second bottle) just in case:
-- Glass Pink, for the iridescent glassflecks. So, so pretty and since it's so sheer it can be layered over anything without significant color change.
-- Mama-San, simply because I adore the color. If I can't find it I'll get a backup of Dancing Nails.
-- Toxic Shine, for the same reason as Mama-San
-- Fig, because the color and formula are so amazingly delicious
-- All About You, the best glassflecky gold I've ever seen
-- Zeus, for that hidden shimmer
-- Patrika, because it's the only shade of orange I've found that actually looks good with my skin tone
-- Tokyo Pearl, because it makes the best all-purpose undies and I've never seen another frosty pure white like that from another brand

A lot of bloggers rave about Winterberry and Cinderella... they're not my personal favorites, but they are pretty unique and if those colors are your cup of tea, you should definitely snag 'em up while you can!

Let me know if you'd like to see any particular comparisons or layering combinations with these, I take requests!


No comments:

Post a Comment