Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Layering madness!

The nails I'm rocking today started as an attempt to kill my huge lemming for Color Club's Take Wing collection by layering Sinful Colors - Glass Pink over something bright and shimmery. I figured it was sheer enough to not mess with the base color, but it's deliciously glassflecky. Sounds like a good idea, no? It came pretty close.

Please pardon the tiny bitten-off nubbin nails... all my horrible nervous habits have been kicking in full force lately

This is one coat of Glass Pink over two coats of Sinful Colors - Oledia. (I've only ever seen one bottle of Oledia, the one I bought... I think Oledia is pretty similar to Let's Meet, though I only own Oledia so can't make a proper comparison. From swatches I've seen, Let's Meet might be more glassfleck instead of shimmer, and possibly a slightly lighter/brighter yellow.)

Edited to add: Oledia stains. Double base coat highly recommended.

I think this idea might save me from having to buy ALL of the Take Wing gorgeousness, though I did give in and buy the green at Claire's (they have the Claire's logo and different names, but a little tiny Color Club logo on the back so I bet it's the same polish). I'm trying so hard to be good and not buy things that there's a good chance I'll just have to pack up and move, but I had a moment of weakness after dealing with trying to get my half-dead phone replaced. It was frustrating and I guess I was going for retail therapy... More on that later.

Anyway. This morning when I did my nails, I kept them to the two layers for a while and then decided I wanted something a little fancier. I thought of doing some nail art, but as I was rummaging around in the stash for my stripers and dotting tools something else caught my eye.


So I layered on one coat of Sally Hansen Diamond Strength - Glass Slipper. I love the sheer silvery flakies!

This was better. I still wasn't quite happy with it, but decided to give it a chance to grow on me and do my errands. Which involved the mall for phone replacment and the resulting retail therapy.

Claire's caught me. I walked out of there with two mini-bottle collections and three single polishes, one mini and two full. All fabulous. Since I wasn't really loving my nails, I decided to go ahead and layer one of the new lovelies on top. I picked the black-and-holo from the Disco Inferno set (mini's didn't have individual polish names that I can tell).

The set has a clear base silver holo bar glitter, a creamy shimmer hot pinky-purple with micro holo glitter, a gunmetal glassfleck, a hot pink creamy shimmer with silver microglitter, and the jewel of the collection (the one I used), holo bar glitter with black bar and small hex glitters, also in a clear base.


Finally happy with this mani :D

Love it. The glitter was sparser than I would have preferred, I had to put it on fairly thick and fuss it around to get a look I liked, but in the end it was totally worth the trouble. The glitters lay nice and flat on the nail, which is fabulous. One layer of topcoat was enough.

I'm looking forward to playing with the rest of the Claire's mini bottles. I also picked up the Precious Metals set, which is all medium hex glitter and clear base, one straight silver holo, one with a lavender and a slightly darker purple, one with green, teal and pink (reminds me of a peacock :D), one with just teal and pink, and one with silver holo and black. To be completely honest, the ones I would have picked out on their own would be the two with black glitter. I had nothing in my stash with black glitter, and it's just so differently awesome. 

I mentioned I picked up the lime green glassfleck, Claire's has them as the Starstruck collection, and they look like pretty much the Take Wing collection without yellow and light blue. For Claire's the particular polish name is Blast Off.

The other mini is a sheer tan shimmer with small silver glitter, bubblegum scented. It was on clearance and too cute to pass up! It smells super yummy too. My first scented polish! I've been wary of them smelling horrid... nice to be proven wrong at least in one case!

And finally (last but certainly not least) I picked up Night Sky. Tiny silver holo and dark blue glitters in a clear base. I'm hoping really hard that it won't be as sparse as the others seem to be, I want to wear it on its own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment